Whether you’re going on a quick weekend getaway or going to Europe for three weeks, you’ll still need to pack. Knowing how to pack lightly and smart will reduce the chance of wasting any space and in some cases, even having to check in a bag. When you’re packing for a trip, many factors affect the decision of what you’re going to bring. The temperature and weather, the type of activities you’ll be participating in, the length of the trip will all affect how much and what you need to pack.
We have 10 tips to help you be more effective with your packing and become a pro at it!
- BASICS: Make a checklist
- Make a basic check list of essentials that you can use for any trip
- Build off that list for each trip so you have an inventory of what you brought
- BE ORGANIZED: Use packing cubes
- Packing cubes come in many forms. You can even color code them.
- You can use one cube per category
- They fit easily into your carry on
- These cubes can easily be transferred from your suitcase to designated areas of your lodging space
- SMART PACKING: Roll your clothes, don’t fold them
- There’s less chance of wrinkles on your clothes
- Gives you more space for packing
- TINY THINGS: Buy travel kits for toiletries/liquids
- You can find these at convenience stores
- Kits include small plastic bottles for you to fill with your liquids of choice (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.)
- They also come inside a plastic sealable pouch and all items adhere to the regulations required by TSA
- STOCK UP: Take advantage of toiletries offered at your hotel
- Shampoos, conditioners, and other toiletry items hotels offer are the perfect travel size
- Stocking up on these will assure you are always ready to pack for a trip
- STAY FRESH: Use dryer sheets!
- Keeping your clothes fresh with dryer sheets is a super lightweight way to accomplish this!
- Important to keep your clothes fresh, especially if you are traveling for business
- DO MORE W/LESS SPACE: Inside your shoes
- Pack socks inside your shoes/boots
- THE RIGHT LUGGAGE: Carry-on
- Aim at only using a carry-on bag. It ensures you only pack what you need, and you only have one piece of luggage to keep track of.
- FASHION SENSE: Pick the right materials
- You should pack lightweight materials that don’t wrinkle easily
- Pack versatile pieces of clothing that can double as casual or that can be dressed up
- Items that can be coordinated with some of the other items you are bringing. Choosing a color combination can make this easy to mix and match.
- DO YOU REALLY NEED IT??
- If you are doubting whether or not you really need to pack something – chances are you don’t.
- Instead of bringing books, download an app on your phone that will allow you to access books electronically.
- Take half of what you originally intended to pack – only what you really love.
We hope you find these tips useful! The more you practice these tips, the easier packing lightly like a pro will become.
Island Air Charters provides air charter service to locations in South Florida, the Bahamas, the islands of the Caribbean, as well as scheduled service to select locations on a limited basis. Contact us for your charter today!